My Brother's Keeper

7:08 pm

    A friend once told me that if I ever went to his village, I shouldn't dare put my hand out the window of whatever vehicle I'm in because some very nice people would help me hack it off! He didn't call them nice people but I think they are nice, don't you? I dunno if this actually happens in Nigeria ( I dunno the name of the village) but I've heard it from more than one person. I guess there must be an element of truth in that short description.
   I thought it was quite hilarious back then, I still think it is. I mean, isn't it just ridiculously funny that some people would go to the stressful and bloody extent of cutting my hand off while I'm in a moving vehicle. All that for me? All that just cus I wanted a little breeze on my hand!?
   But I probably won't get such courtesy if I needed a place to stay for the night in an unfamiliar place with no money for a hotel. I don't think I'd get such courtesy if my purse got stolen and I was stranded. Any stressful or bloody efforts here? No? The "purse and strand" thing happened to a friend of mine. She found out her situation when she was in a bus. When she got down from this bus she'd paid the fare for, she begged the conductor and driver to return the money she had paid. They zoomed off.
   I don't think that either the still missing Chibok girls or their families are getting such wonderful kindness. It's been 604 days since the kidnap and 219 girls are still reported missing. Any stressful or bloody efforts here? No?
   It is broadly accurate to say that over 13,000 people have been killed in Nigeria's insurgency according to Africacheck . 13,000 human beings have died within the space of 5 years and all some people care about is where I put my hands or what I say on the internet.
   Thousands of years ago, Cain asked God, "Am I my brother's keeper?", right after he killed this brother. Each and everyday, Nigerians all over the world ask the same question with words, actions and thoughts. And I still think it's hilarious.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

What did you think? I'd love to know.

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images